I am eating comfort food this weekend due to having a bout of man-cold that I caught from Emma earlier in the week. Comfort food for me means anything loaded with calories. You can’t get much more calorific than an cake loaded with syrup, treacle, sugar and butter.
- 3/4 lb S.R. Flour
- 1/4 lb Black treacle
- 1/4 lb Golden syrup
- 4oz brown sugar
- 2 small eggs
- 1/2 teaspoons soda bic
- 4 oz margarine
- 1/2 teacup milk
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- Put fat, sugar, treacle and syrup in a saucepan and heat gently until the fat melts. Leave to cool.
- Sift the dry ingredients in a bowl, make a well in the centre and add eggs & milk.
- Slowly pour in treacle mixture, stir without beating, until well blended.
- Turn mixture into a greased and paper lined tin.
- Bake in the centre of a slow oven (150′c) for 1 1/4 hours. Test by pressing.
- Remove from tin when cool.
- Store in an air tight container.
Tin should be 11″ x 9″ x 2″