I am eating comfort food this weekend due to having a bout of man-cold that I caught from Emma earlier in the week. Comfort food for me means anything loaded with calories. You can’t get much more calorific than an cake loaded with syrup, treacle, sugar and butter.
- 3/4 lb S.R. Flour
- 1/4 lb Black treacle
- 1/4 lb Golden syrup
- 4oz brown sugar
- 2 small eggs
- 1/2 teaspoons soda bic
- 4 oz margarine
- 1/2 teacup milk
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- Put fat, sugar, treacle and syrup in a saucepan and heat gently until the fat melts. Leave to cool.
- Sift the dry ingredients in a bowl, make a well in the centre and add eggs & milk.
- Slowly pour in treacle mixture, stir without beating, until well blended.
- Turn mixture into a greased and paper lined tin.
- Bake in the centre of a slow oven (150′c) for 1 1/4 hours. Test by pressing.
- Remove from tin when cool.
- Store in an air tight container.
Tin should be 11″ x 9″ x 2″
Ok so this one isn’t that inventive but I made it up on the spot so I think that is good enough.
Take one chicken breast and slice a pocket in it length-ways. Shove some slices of lemon into the pocket you created. Grill in a George with some slices of red pepper until the chicken is cooked all the way through. Discard the slices of lemon and place the entire chicken breast and peppers into a wholemeal pita-bread. Consume with a side salad.
You get a sweet flavour from the red pepper mixing with a very light lemon flavour that permiates the chicken breast. An easy quick weekday evening meal with minimal washing up.
I added some brain food to my diet on Saturday by cooking up some fish for dinner.
Take a salmon steak and place onto a sheet of lightly oiled tin-foil. Sprinkle on some thyme and add a knob of butter on top of the fish. Place two slices of fresh-cut lemon on the salmon and then wrap it up in the tin foil so as to keep the fish moist. Cook in the oven at 200′c for about 20 minutes.
I served it with mash potatoes and peas. It was delicious. Anyone want to come round for dinner some time?
Sugar Snap Peas are one of the best ingredients in the world. Ever.
Tonight I made a chicken stir-fry and used some sugar snap peas in it. They are so much nicer than mange tout.
Life, thoughts, cooking, food, mmm food.